Valentine’s Day Craft Ideas: Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to show the special people in your life how much you love and care for them. From making handmade cards to personalizing a t-shirt, there are so many ways to express your love and appreciation. This year, make something unique and thoughtful for your loved one.
The History of Valentine’s Day
If you’re interested in the History of Valentine’s Day, I think you’ll enjoy the YouTube Video below:
Below are DIY Craft Ideas for Valentine’s Day
Decorate a T-Shirt
If you’re looking for a way to personalize a gift for your special someone, then consider decorating a t-shirt for them.
- Choose a plain t-shirt in their size and favourite colour.
- Decide whether you are going to decorate with words only or words and a big Heart Design. Position your Stencils accordingly.
- Use an alphabet Stencil.
- Position and stencil the words “I Love You”, “Be Mine” or “Happy Valentine’s Day” with a thin Permanent Marker onto the Shirt and paint it with fabric paint.
- Then, if you choose, you can also position and draw or stencil a big Heart on the T-Shirt.
- If you have a big wooden-shaped heart, use it to trace the heart shape onto the shirt.
- Heat set fabric paints if required. See instructions on paints.
- If cost isn’t an issue, some craft stores like Michaels, have ready to iron on Valentine’s Day and other occasion pretty patches or appliques which if you haven’t the time to spare will do the trick.
See the YouTube Video below for T-Shirt Decorating Ideas:
A Canvas with Hearts
- Paint the canvas with a light background colour of your choice. Acrylic paint is fine.
- Then sponge different coloured hearts onto the Canvas. Let the hearts overlap if you like.
- To Make Heart Sponges: Cut a regular thin sponge/s into a heart shape/s and then dip the sponge/s into acrylic paints.
- Suggestion: Before you start, pour out a bit of each colour of the paint you are using onto some wax paper which will make it easier to dip the sponge into the paint.
- Let the paint dry properly overnight.
- Then decide what words you are going to use on the canvas. For assistance, you can search Google for Free Printable Valentine’s Day sayings.
- Copy the words with the saying you have chosen into a text box if possible and print the page. This makes it easier to cut out straight. The words may have a border around them already which is easier.
- Otherwise, there’s nothing like a good old ruler and permanent marker.
- Decide where on the Canvas you are going to paste the Saying.
- Using a sponge brush, put a thin layer of glue on the back of the paper with the saying you have chosen.
- Carefully paste the cut out paper, with the saying, onto the Canvas.
- Smooth away the glue bubbles gently with an “old” credit card if you need to.
- If your loved one loves Glitz, you can glue shiny heart shaped gemstones/rhinestones onto the canvas.
This makes a different and special Valentine’s Gift for your loved one.
See the YouTube Video below for other ideas:
Paint a Cardboard Gift Box
- A Cardboard Gift Box painted/sponged and/or decorated with different coloured hearts and filled with truffles or a necklace is a nice gift.
- If you have some plain little gift boxes lying around, put them to good use.
- Either paint or sponge the outside of the gift box red and pink with acrylic paint and/or merely use a bright Red or Pink Glitter Heart Sticker and stick it onto the lid of the little box.
- Position a couple of clear and red or pink heart-shaped gemstones/rhinestones or any other shaped gemstones/rhinestones on the lid of the gift box and perhaps on the sides of the box too. Your loved one will love the glitzed-up effect.
- If the box is very small, a couple of truffles on a small pretty doily inside the box will be well received.
- Of course a pretty Basic Spirit, made in Canada, pewter necklace and/or a pair of pewter earrings will definitely be appreciated by your special person.
A Handmade Card
- Make a handmade card for your special someone to show them how much you care.
- There are lots of different styles of cards you can make.
- You could go for a traditional envelope card, or have some fun with 3D cards or pop-up cards.
- Kids can create a secret message in a card so that their special person can only read it when they open it! It’s a fun way to show that they’ve put some thought into making the card for their special person.
- Decorate the card with gemstones/rhinestones or stickers.
Below are a few YouTube Video links which are easier to follow than typed out instructions.
You and the kids will love these YouTube Videos.
- These cards are fun and easy to make.
Here is another YouTube Video to make Valentine’s Day Cards. Little Kids and Adults will enjoy this video.
This YouTube Video isn’t difficult but not as easy as the ones above.
Painted Tote Bags
If you want to create a personalized gift, then consider decorating a tote bag for your special someone.
- Choose a bag in your loved one’s favorite colour or design, or you could use a canvas bag.
- You can then draw or stencil the words “Happy Valentine’s Day” and draw or stencil a big Heart on the bag; then paint the stencilled words and heart with fabric paint.
- Remember to give your bag time to dry and heat set the paint, if necessary, before giving it to your special person.
Idea: Include a box of chocolates and/or a gift card with the tote.
You can be sure you will be remembered every time they use the tote.
See the YouTube Video below:
Romantic Photo Frame
Create a photo frame and put a photo of you and your loved one in it.
- For a romantic gift, find the perfect frame and put a photo of you and your loved one in the frame and then if you like, decorate the frame with clear or colourful rhinestone stickers.
- Alternatively, make a copy of the photo, cut it out into a heart shape if possible (not essential) and use a thin layer of Mod Podge (Matt) on a foam brush to glue it to a Canvas. Let the glue dry. Then the following day, use a thin layer of Mod Podge (Glossy) on a foam brush to seal it.
- If there are any glue bubbles, merely use an “old” credit card to lightly smooth out the bubbles.
- Suggestion: If you intend to add a Special Message, remember to leave some space to paste the Message either at the top of the Canvas (above the photo) or at the bottom (below the photo).
- To make it a memorable gift, type out a special message (in a text box or with a border around the text to make it easier to cut it out straight). Then glue it on the same way as you did the photo.
- Make it easier: Use glitter or plain alphabet stickers instead.
How to make a Heart-Shaped Frame
See the YouTube Video below:
Wooden Heart Decorations
See the YouTube Video link below on using several different techniques to Decorate Wooden Hearts
Valentine’s Day Banner
If you want to decorate your home for Valentine’s Day, then consider making a banner to hang up. You could use your banner as a wall decoration, you could hang it from the ceiling, or you could use it to decorate your windows. There are lots of ways you can use your banner to show your love.
See the YouTube Video below:
Use your imagination and everything will turn out well.
Now it’s time to get creative!
Have fun and enjoy! That’s all that really matters.