The Origin of Mother’s Day
Mother’s Day has a long and rich history that can be traced back to ancient times, when the Greeks and Romans celebrated a similar day in honor of their respective mother goddesses. The Greeks celebrated Rhea, the mother of the gods, while the Romans celebrated Cybele, the mother of all living things. The celebrations were marked by grand feasts, parades, and gift giving.
The modern-day concept of Mother’s Day, however, was introduced in the early 20th century by Anna Jarvis, an American social activist, who wanted to honor her own mother and all mothers who had made sacrifices for their children. In 1908, Anna held a memorial for her mother, who had passed away three years earlier. She distributed 500 white carnations, her mother’s favorite flower, to all the mothers who attended the event. This marked the beginning of the Mother’s Day celebration in the US.
The first official Mother’s Day was celebrated in 1914, when President Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation designating the second Sunday in May as Mother’s Day. This day was to be dedicated to “the person who has done more for you than anyone in the world.” The holiday soon gained popularity and was celebrated in many other countries around the world.
The Evolution of Mother’s Day Over Time
Over the years, Mother’s Day has evolved into a more commercialized event, with retailers and restaurants offering special discounts and promotions. However, the true essence of the day remains the same – to celebrate the love and sacrifices of our mothers and mother figures.
In some countries, Mother’s Day is celebrated on a different day. In the UK, for example, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the fourth Sunday of Lent. In other countries, such as Mexico, Mother’s Day is celebrated on May 10th, regardless of the day of the week. In some countries, such as Japan, Mother’s Day is celebrated together with Father’s Day on the third Sunday of June.
Despite the differences in the way Mother’s Day is celebrated across the world, the sentiment behind the day remains the same. It is a day to show appreciation for all the sacrifices and hard work that mothers put in every day to raise their children.
Mother’s Day Traditions Around the World
Mother’s Day is celebrated in different ways across the world. In the UK, for example, children give their mothers flowers and cards, while in Mexico, families gather together to celebrate with food and music. In Japan, it is customary to give red carnations to mothers, while in Ethiopia, children bring their mothers coffee and bread.
In many countries, Mother’s Day is a public holiday, and schools and offices are closed to allow families to spend time together. In the US, Mother’s Day is one of the busiest days of the year for restaurants, as families gather together to celebrate with a special meal.
The Significance of Mother’s Day Today
In today’s society, where mothers often have to juggle work and family responsibilities, Mother’s Day provides an opportunity for families to come together and show their appreciation for all the hard work that mothers put in. It is a day to celebrate the love and sacrifices that mothers make every day to raise their children.
Mother’s Day is also a day to reflect on the importance of motherhood and the role that mothers play in shaping the future of society. Mothers are the first teachers of their children, and they play a crucial role in shaping their children’s values and beliefs.
Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
Make Mom a Special Gift, Buy her a Gift or Give her a Gift Card so that she can choose a gift. An Earring Holdit by RubysCloset holds up to 50 pairs of earrings – hook, hoop and stud earrings and makes a different gift for Mom.
Choosing the perfect Mother’s Day gift or Mother’s Day DIY gift can be a daunting task. However, there are many creative and thoughtful gift ideas that can make the day special for your mother. Here are some ideas:
- A homemade card or gift: A handmade gift or card can be a touching way to show your love and appreciation for your mother.
- Flowers: Flowers are always a popular gift for Mother’s Day. Choose your mother’s favorite flowers or opt for a beautiful bouquet.
- Plants: A pretty plant in a Decorated Terracotta Plant Pot or Planter.
Here is a YouTube Video you may like::
- Jewellery: Jewellery is a classic gift that is sure to make your mother feel special. Choose a piece that reflects her personality and style. Otherwise, why not let mom choose her own piece of Jewellery by giving her a Gift Card.
- Spa day: If Mom likes going to the Spa, why not treat her to a day of relaxation and pampering at a spa.
- Dinner out: Take your mother out for a special meal at her favourite restaurant
- Cook a special meal: If you live with your mother, cook her favourite meal at home.
- Outdoor celebration: If the weather permits, have a picnic or barbecue in the backyard.
- Home spa day: Create a spa experience at home with face masks, massages, and a relaxing bath.
- Virtual Celebration: If mom lives in another Province or Country or you can’t be with her in person for any other reason, you can still celebrate with her from afar by arranging a virtual celebration. You could have a video call, play games together, or watch a movie.
DIY Ideas to Make Your Special Mom something she will keep and treasure forever because it comes from you and you made it for her.
- A Mother’s Day Card:
See the YouTube Video below:
- Papier Maché Box for Mother’s Day
Decorate the “Outside” of a Papier Mache Box and fill it with her favourite chocolates. Below is an example of what you can do.
You can, if you prefer, paint the box and decorate it with a stencil and rhinestone stickers instead of using Decoupage. There are no hard and fast rules. It should be an enjoyable project, not a stress.
Suggestion: Put a Doily inside the box to make it look pretty. Most party shops keep doilies.
- Decorate a Glass Jar for Mom:
Take a look at the YouTube Video below. Change it slightly by printing out your own Personal Message, preferably on a Laser printer, for Mom and using clear Shelf Liner to adhere your message to a clean and clear glass jar and then fill the jar with mom’s favourite chocolates or candies, colourful shells or any gift you want to give her.
You can search on Google for a free printable Mother’s Day Message that you like and use that on the jar. It’s fun and easy and Mom will love it.
- Wood Decorated Mother’s Day DIY Sign:
Take a square, round or other shaped piece of smooth craft wood, paint the background with your preferred shade and then stencil a message on it for mom. If you like, you can decorate the frame of the wood with pretty flower or butterfly stickers.
- Wood Collage Sign for Mom:
YouTube Video below:
- Photo Coasters for Mom
YouTube Video below:
Decorate a small or medium sized canvas for Mom. Paint a pretty, light background colour so that your stencilled message will show up nicely. You may want to use some colourful pretty flower or butterfly stickers around the border of the canvas for a collage effect.
- Suggestion: Add a bit of glue to the back of the sticker to make sure it sticks properly.
- Rock Painting:
Paint a Pretty Heart Rock for Mom. See the YouTube Videos below:
- Hand-Painted Rock Ideas:
- Mother’s Day Card, Canvas, Mug, etc.:
This YouTube Video has several ideas for Mother’s Day DIY Crafts:
- Kids and Adults will Enjoy this YouTube Video with 20 Mother’s Day Craft Ideas.
- Mother’s Day Craft Ideas for Kids.
See the YouTube Video below
Make Mom some Jewellery.
See the YouTube Video below:
- Here is a YouTube Video with various DIY Mother’s Day Ideas which I think you’ll enjoy.
Mother’s Day Quotes and Messages
Adding a heartfelt message or quote to your Mother’s Day gift can make it even more special. Here are some ideas:
- “A mother’s love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” – Marion C. Garretty
- “Life doesn’t come with a manual, it comes with a mother.” – Unknown
- “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “A mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heartthrob.” – Leroy Brownlow
These are just ideas. You may want to use your own Special Message such as “I Love You Mom” and “Mom, You will Always be My Best Friend” and “Best Mom”
Mother’s Day Activities for the Whole Family
Mother’s Day is a great opportunity to spend quality time with your family. Here are some activities that the whole family can enjoy:
- Family hike: Take a scenic hike together and enjoy the outdoors.
- Family game night: Have a family game night with your mother’s favorite games.
- Arts and crafts: Get creative with an arts and crafts project that the whole family can work on together.
- Family movie night: Watch your mother’s favourite movie together.
- Bake together: Bake a special treat or meal together.
Mother’s Day is a special occasion that has evolved over the years, but its true essence remains the same – to celebrate the love and sacrifices of our mothers and mother figures. It is a day to show appreciation for all the hard work that mothers put in every day to raise their children. Whether you choose to celebrate with a special gift, a heartfelt message, or by spending quality time together, the most important thing is to make your mother feel loved and appreciated.
Happy Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day Coupon Code GET20